In this post I’ll share 7 ways to trick your reptile brain for better productivity.
But first, I have a quick question for you.
Did you hit or exceed your sales goals for 2017 ?
If not, do you know exactly why? – Most likely, the problem is not what you think it is.
It’s not your market. Not your CRM. Not your prospecting software. Not your (insert any other excuse you can come up with)
The problem is (in most cases)
Now, of course you are going to reject this notion at your core. But read on.
Life is pretty “okay” right?
You have clothes.
You have food.
You have shelter.
You have much of what you want and need.
Am I right?
So, if you’re comfortable, what’s the true motivation to “crush it” or “kill it” or “hustle” ?
Seriously, think about it. If life is okay – no impending danger and no real lack. Why must you do the hard stuff it takes to “crush it” ?
Because you made a goal?
A newyears resolution?
Because you’re determined to “succeed” ?
Just because it feels good to dream?
What do you have to lose if you don’t?
In economics and decision theory, loss aversion refers to people’s tendency to prefer avoiding losses to acquiring equivalent gains:
Below are two scenarios to consider. What do you think? What hits you at your core harder? What stops time and feels like a bigger impact?
- Getting out of your car and realizing you lost $1,000 cash that must have fallen out of your pocket or purse.
- Receiving an unexpected $1,000 commission on a deal.
Which scenario has more of a physiological / psychological impact? Be honest.Some studies have suggested that losses are twice as powerful, psychologically, as gains
So how can we leverage this notion to fuel our progress?
Answer > *Get Uncomfortable* (quick!)
Here are (7) ways to start getting uncomfortable by feeling “loss”
- Give away an amount of money that literally freaks you out. Give it to a charity… give it to your church…. give it to someone who needs it.
- Journal how life would be if you lost your job, your business, and every penny you have. Every belonging. What would happen? who would it affect? How would you feel? How would those who depend on you feel?
- Miserable at your job or with your business? Stop doing it. Make the decision now.
- Reframe your BIG “why”. What is the ideal version of your life? Who do you support? What lifestyle do you live? How much freedom do you have? How much are you able to give? Can you make it a truly BIG audacious vision? Can you draw it out or sketch it and look at it throughout every day ?
- Take a on a new project that will require a good amount of your time. Maybe a cause/charity … maybe a non-profit…maybe a new life skill. Commit to doing something that you will learn and grow from.
- Cut your working hours literally in half. Yes, I said it. “working” 8 or 10 or 14 hours in a day ? CUT IT IN HALF. and be done. You’ll actually get more done. 1000% guaranteed. (after 3-4 days)
- Go on a social media and phone fast. (30) days … just remove all of your distracting apps and social media usage. Are you addicted ? Replace checking your social with something that will create progress. Write a post. Create a video. Build a new website. Redesign your presentation. Start learning a new language. whatever. Replace the unproductive activity with something that will actually help you make progress in your life.
You have other ideas? I’d love to hear what YOU are doing to get Uncomfortable in order to create more progress in your life and in your sales results. >> email@example.com
ps If you’re looking for sales coaching that will cause some “discomfort” and accountability to help you create progress in your career, business, and life join our next class starting Jan 15th!
Let’s get super uncomfortable in 2018!!~
Questions? Email me: Aron@predictableuniversity.com